Wednesday, January 10, 2007

La Leche League Conference Registration Open!

Imagine a world of fathers with babies in slings and backpacks while mom hangs out with friends, stay-at-home mothers from Alabama in conversation with doctor-moms from somewhere in Australia.

A mother nursing her child while taking notes in a professional education session and a highly educated researcher stopping to play peek-a-boo with a toddler.

Close friends, new and old who admire and respect your parenting choices. Older, wiser women and younger, "smarter" teenagers that both offer to help you with your packages so you can go ahead and nurse your baby.

Not to mention people from all over the world, gathered together to improve the health of mothers, babies, children, families, even nations through education, discussion and planning. Hearing many many languages everywhere you turn - yet everyone working toward the same goals.

Now imagine having someone else make up your bed and room service.

That dream...no that reality exists every two years at the La Leche League International Conference.

Please consider attending this year and being a part this conference, that is much more than a conference. It is a gathering of friends and family. And even though LLLI is often thought of a "white woman's group" it is trying to change and while I can't speak for every leader, I can say that there is a true effort and desire within LLLI to reach out to the African-American mother and women of color around the globe. La Leche has a long way to go in that goal and instead of just complaining about the organization, I am trying to be a part of the change I want to see. Come to Chicago and be a part of change with me. Help make LLLI a rainbow of sisterhood.

To register online click here.

1 comment:

Laura Gallagher said...

Wow. I'm not even in LLL any more - haven't been since my 2nd was small - but I wish I could go.

I never thought about LLL's color, really. But then - it was an influence on me as a child, as my mom went with my 10-years-younger sister, and I think that exposure is what convinced me that of COURSE I'd nurse my kids - and we were a multiracial family and didn't always pay any attention to such things.

I think the LLL meetings I went to in California were at least caucasian and hispanic mixed.