Thursday, January 11, 2007

Splish, Splash...

Tanya, over at the Motherwear Blog, asked "How much water do you need?" I get that question a lot when I teach breastfeeding classes, lead support groups or just answer mother's questions. Many mothers are told that if the don't drink gallons upon gallons of water their milk supply will get low. So far, medical science has found no benefit to drinking your weight in water every day during lactation.

Drink water preferably, and drink it often. It is a good rule of thumb to always have a glass of water nearby when you sit down to nurse. In the early weeks, you tend to get thirsty during each feeding (burning all those extra calories, I guess). It can be very irritating to have just gotten junior latched on and realize your throat is on fire! Just start a water cup in the morning and fill it up right before you sit down to nurse. It is a good habit to keep up as the months go by as well. Most importantly, follow your body. If you are thirsty, drink. Drink before you get really thirsty and use it as a reminder to take care of your needs too.


Here is my favorite glass to drink out of. I don't know why but I love it. It is the only one we have like it and drinking out of it always makes me happy. My preferred beverage on the daily is water, no ice, lemon if I am feeling fancy. Everyone says they don't drink enough water, but I actually think I do pretty good. The only other drink we have in the house is apple juice so I usually drink water or tea. It's pure vanity. I can't afford to waste calories on drinks. I'd rather eat chocolate.

I will pass the challenge on to Jennifer at The Lactivist. What's in your cup, Lactivist?

2 comments:

Renata said...

I couldn't finish reading your post before I went and drank some water!
I enjoy reading your blog.
-Renata

Jennifer Laycock said...

LOL! You know that its a small world of breastfeeding bloggers when the "meme" goes full circle. :)

http://thelactivist.blogspot.com/2007/01/my-big-giant-water-mug.html