Or at least you should consider a business trip to attend this conference. I am happy to see my sister (and by that I mean "sistah" not "sister") in the cause, Kimberly Durdin-James will be speaking at the Comprehensive Lactation Care Conference, A benefit for the Unites States Lactation Consultant Association.
It's nice to see people tackling subjects that are not often talked about. Anyone wanna give my a scholarship to go?
COMPREHENSIVE LACTATION CARE
Honoring Cultural, Social and Physical Diversity
March 9-10, 2007 Berkeley, CA USA
A Benefit for USLCA
KIMBERLY DURDIN-JAMES IBCLC
· Examining Breastfeeding Practices and Beliefs of African-American Women
Co-owner doula & lactation service in Washington DC & Los Angeles, CA; IBCLC at Watts Healthcare WIC in Los Angeles, CA; former co-chair/founding member of the Washington, DC Breastfeeding Coalition; National President of the African American Breastfeeding Alliance (AABA)
JULIENE G. LIPSON PhD, RN, FAAN
· Culture and Clinical Care
Professor Emerita in the Dept. of Community Health Systems & the Dept. of Anthropology, History and Social Medicine at UC San Francisco. Her research has focused on women’s birth transitions; immigrants; culture and disability. She is the co-editor of Culture and Clinical Care.
JAMES J. MCKENNA PhD
· Sleep Like a Baby? What Does That Really Mean?
· SIDS Bed-sharing and Breastfeeding: What Research Really Says and What To Do About It.
· American Academy of Pediatrics New SIDS Guidelines: Maternal-Infant Biology in Conflict with Local Science Edmund P. Joyce C.S.C. Chair in Anthropology
Director, Mother-Baby Behavioral Sleep Laboratory; University of Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Indiana
JUDITH G. ROGERS BA, BS, OTR
· Culture and Disability
National Resource Center on Parenting with Disabilities at Through the Looking Glass in Berkeley, California. Parents with disabilities expert, creates innovative, low-cost baby care solutions. Co-authored Mother to Be: A Guide to Pregnancy &Birth for Women with Disabilities. Conceived of, BHAWD, Breast Health Access for Women with Disabilities program(education and breast exams).
ULFAT SHAIKH MD, MPH
· Islam and Infant Feeding
· Extent, Accuracy and Credibility of Breastfeeding Information on the Internet
Assistant professor of pediatrics, University of California Davis School of Medicine
CHRISTINA SMILLIE MD, IBCLC, FABM
· Baby-led Latch and Its Practical Applications
· Right-brain to Right-brain communication of Mothers and Babies
Medical Director, Breastfeeding Resources, Stratford, Connecticut; Board of Directors, Academy of Breastfeeding Medicine; Health Advisory Council to the Professional Advisory Council of La Leche League International; Leadership Team, Section on Breastfeeding, American Academy of Pediatrics
For a full brochure contact SWAGconferences@aol.com